Login Register

Ellwood take advantage of the weather

By The Citizen  |  Posted: November 20, 2012

Comments (0)

ELLWOOD were the big winners on a day when the weather prevented two of the top three teams from taking to the pitch in the Gloucestershire County League.

With leaders Tuffley Rovers' game against DRG Frenchay and third-placed Kings Stanley's visit to Longlevens both postponed, the Foresters took advantage.

Their terrific 3-0 victory over Taverners hoisted them into fourth place in the table, three points behind leaders Tuffley.

Matt Addis was the star of the show for the Foresters, bagging a superb hat-trick, including two goals in the first three minutes to help secure the points.

There were goals aplenty at Coombe Dingle Sports Complex as Rockleaze Rangers defeated Frampton United by five goals to two.

Without a hint of what was to come, Frampton flew out of the blocks and took an early lead as James Cross raced clear and tucked home.

Rangers levelled on 18 minutes as Shane Budding teed Matt Beadle up to fire home from eight yards.

And Rangers took the lead for the first time, eight minutes before the break from the penalty spot after Budding had been brought down.

Aaron Day coolly slotted home from 12 yards and a little over five minutes later the hosts had extended their lead.

Steve Frangoullis' superb 40-yard shot cannoned off the underside of the bar and fell kindly for Jesus Herran-Biox to score.

Carl Lakey made it four in the 58th minute, tucking home after more good work from Budding, before Zak Tyers gave Frampton hope with a second goal.

But Budding had the final say, firing home a deserved goal to cap a three-minute spell where three goals were scored.

Bishop's Cleeve Reserves were on the wrong end of a five-goal game at Thornbury Town as the hosts claimed their fifth win of the season.

Town took a fortunate lead in just the third minute as Steve Alexander's shot took a wicked deflection to leave the Cleeve goalkeeper helpless.

The lead was doubled in the tenth minute as Ross Irwin put Alexander through, and this time the Thornbury man's finish was true.

Deco Chick pulled a goal back for the Villagers with a neat finish from close range on 35 minutes as the visitors laid siege to the Town goal.

However, Thornbury broke to add a third goal against the run of play before the break, with Steve Thompson heading home.

Cleeve claimed a second goal, through a Ben Robinson strike, three minutes from time but it was no more than a consolation.

Read more from Gloucestershire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters