Login Register

Baros frustrated by ten-man Hardwicke

By Gloucestershire Echo  |  Posted: November 20, 2012

Comments (0)


MANAGER Steve Cleal saw his FC Barometrics team miss out on the chance to close the gap on Northern Senior League Division Two leaders Hardwicke .

The Baros started well with the returning Danny Gittings linking up well with the midfield and causing a constant threat to the Hardwicke defence.

Gittings was the subject of some tough tackling as the visitors tried the physical approach to the game.

Man-of-the-match Gary Cornwall was bossing the midfield for the home side and allowing Dan Thompson, Nick Giles and Laurence Perkins the freedom to get forward to support Jones and Gittings in attack.

Hardwicke looked dangerous from set pieces and in the 30th minute an in-swinging corner was met by the head of the centre forward who broke through the crowd to head over from three yards out.

Dan Thompson had the best chance of the first half for the Baros when through on goal but his shot was tame and straight at the Hardwicke goalkeeper.

Good build-up play between Perkins, Thompson and Gittings fed the ball to Cornwall who shot from 20 yards was deflected just wide.

Defensively the Baros looked solid with Paul Hockey dominating his man, winning header after header as the Hardwicke long ball game became a factor.

The second half saw Hardwicke have both their manager and captain sent off as their physical approach continued and the Baros went in search of the winner.

Skipper Perkins had two good opportunities, but still Baros couldn't find a way through.

The Barometrics' best chance fell to top scorer Craig Jones who headed over from five yards when he really should have done better.

The Barometrics kept on trying to break down the Hardwicke defence with the visitors playing on the counter and they nearly won the game in the last few minutes when a break out saw the substitute forward through but his shot hit the foot of the post.

The last chance of note came when substitute Jack Watts danced his way round a couple of defenders and fired the ball across the face of goal but no one was there to tap home.

Cleal was left frustrated after the game that another two points have gone begging.

"To draw with the teams that were top and second respectively is not a bad couple of weeks but I'm frustrated that we have scored only one goal in three games so this needs addressing," he said.

Cleal's men lie fifth in the table having played more games than most teams around them.

"We need to start winning games again and it has to start next week," he added.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • richgreen1111  |  November 20 2012, 12:57PM

    Great action photo TIG - shame it was taken in 2005!! Good to see TIG are on the ball again.

    Rate 0