Login Register

Dunton checks in with a goal as Ciren claim point

By Gloucestershire Echo  |  Posted: November 12, 2012

ON TARGET:  Ellis Dunton (left) scored for Cirencester

ON TARGET: Ellis Dunton (left) scored for Cirencester

Comments (0)


CIRENCESTER Town bounced back from their disappointing 4-2 derby defeat to Bishop's Cleeve by claiming a hard-earned point from high-flying Tiverton Town.

With Ellis Dunton, Chris Thompson and Jamie Reed all back in the side, the Centurions were further strengthened by new signing Jon Beedon, who has completed a move from Swindon Supermarine.

Cirencester pressed from the kick off and Alex Allard fired a second minute shot over the bar after a quickly-taken free-kick from Ben Wells.

Shane Bumphrey then lobbed a shot narrowly wide after a fine through ball from Reid, before Tiverton came close when Russell Jee's shot rebounded off the post.

Wells tested Tivvy keeper Chris Wright with a free-kick from 25 yards, before Tiverton broke to take the lead just after the half-hour mark as Joseph Bushin tapped home from a goalmouth scramble.

The home side levelled matters before the break with a fine goal as Wells' strong run across the 18-yard line eventually led to a short pass to Dunton.

Taking aim from the edge of the area, Dunton fired a stinging left-footed drive into the corner of the net, giving Wright no chance. Ciren flew out of the box at the start of the second half with Thompson heading over the top in the 51st minute to herald a 20 minute spell of pressure from the hosts.

But it wasn't until the 73rd minute that Cirencester carved out a glorious chance to take the lead as Sam Collier was put through one on one with keeper Wright.

A last-gasp touch from Wright stopped Collier from advancing on an open goal, but Collier recovered to find an unmarked Wells whose shot was cleared.

Tiverton roared immediately upfield and a long cross found substitute Jules Emati-Emati free in the box, but Lee Clatworthy managed to produce a fine save to deny the visitors a second goal.

That escape toughened Cirencester's resolve and the hosts went on to dominate the remainder of the game.

Matt Sysum thumped a header against the bar 11 minutes from time and, after a lengthy spell of injury time, Collier was presented with a glorious chance to win it but he blazed his shot over the bar.

Cirencester Town: L Clatworthy, A Allard (A Bennett 82), E Dunton, M Sysum, B Wells, J Beedon, J Reid, L O'Brien, S Collier, S Bumphrey (S Packer 79), C Thompson. Subs not used: J Shepherd, N Hawkins.

Tiverton Town: C Wright, J Concanen, L Tasker, H Nodwell, P Kendall, T Gardner, D Steele (J Emati-Emati 70), R Jee (J Searle 55), D Pearse (A Taylor 70), J Bushin, Alex Faux. Subs not used: Adam Faux, K Hill.

Attendance: 97

Referee: Dumitru-Ravel Cheosiaua

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters