Login Register

Kennedy and Moore in goal glut for Saracens

By Gloucestershire Echo  |  Posted: December 04, 2012

Comments (0)


CHELTENHAM Saracens progressed to the quarter-finals of the Hellenic League Cup with a superb second half attacking performance.

Berkshire outfit Penn and Tylers came to Petersfield Park in good form on the back of a four-game unbeaten run, and their early first half performance showed they were oozing confidence.

The visitors took the game to Saracens whose backline including goalkeeper Ryan Betteridge had to face an early barrage of pressure.

A tenth minute Saracens goal settled all concerned when Josh Swales smashed an opener from 20 yards.

The goal though did not dent Green's confidence and within five minutes of Swales' opener they were back on level terms when Chris Hurst fired a first-time shot across the body of Betteridge into the bottom corner.

Following the two early goals, the first half took a rather scrappy phase of play.

Saracens should have scored after 30 minutes as Sam Slender won possession in his own half and went on a mazy run before finding the free Jamie Hammond on the right wing.

Hammond cut inside his marker but his strong shot was comfortably saved.

With the final minutes of the first half approaching Saracens finally made their possession count when Elliott Kennedy received a fine pass from Joe Donaghue, cut inside and rifled in a superb shot giving the goalkeeper no chance.

Saracens were simply superb in the second half, taking the game by the scruff of the neck immediately from the restart when their top scorer Ethan Moore netted within a minute, created from a good run by the impressive Donaghue.

Moore linked up superbly with Lorcan Sheehan, who sent a left wing pass to the unmarked Kennedy who left two players in his wake before slamming a right foot shot across goal into the right bottom corner to give Saracens a 4-1 lead.

Moore soon added his second and Saracens' fifth when he combined superbly with Kennedy, resulting in a one-on-one with the goalkeeper. Moore dropped his shoulder and sent the keeper the wrong way dispatching his effort into the corner to make it 5-1.

Kennedy completed his hat-trick after linking up with Moore, who soon followed with his own treble.

Donaghue was tripped in the box but the ball fell to Moore, who tapped in.

Kennedy added his fourth and Saracens' eighth when one touch passing between Swales, Moore and Kennedy again resulted in Kennedy ghosting past his markers. Penn scored their consolation goal in the 88th minute with a free header.

Read more from Gloucestershire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters