Login Register

Residents in Cheltenham terrace voice anger at 'overbearing' homes

By Gloucestershire Echo  |  Posted: February 25, 2013

By JOE LANE

CONTENTIOUS:  The new development which has upset neighbours

CONTENTIOUS: The new development which has upset neighbours

Comments (7)

ANGRY residents of a Cheltenham terrace say newly-built homes which overlook their back gardens have robbed them of their privacy.

People living in Windyridge Gardens, in Wymans Brook, are upset after 13 affordable homes, including seven houses and six apartments, have gone up inches from their boundary walls.

The plans were granted planning permission in May last year, but residents claim the application was approved without their knowledge.

They say their own homes have plummeted in value as a result of the overbearing structures. They have complained that ongoing work on the development has caused damage to several of their garden fences, which border onto the building site.

Valerie DaCosta-Greene, 57, who has lived in Windyridge Gardens for 28 years, said: "We're not happy about this at all. Anyone who comes down here and has a look for themselves can see how overbearing these properties are.

"I don't want people looking down into my home and neither do other families. Added to that, I have had damage to my fence. It's not good enough."

Ms DaCosta-Greene said she had been aware the site, formerly a car park at the back of Wymans Brook shops, had been granted outline planning permission for homes five years ago.

But she claims she and her neighbours were kept in the dark that proposals had been given the green light.

Fellow resident Dino Daramci said: "I am seriously considering moving away from here, but of course our homes have dropped in value."

Cottsway Housing Association, the company responsible for the project, was unavailable for comment yesterday. However, borough council planning officers, when approving the proposals, insisted that neighbours' amenity would not be unacceptably harmed.

Markey Group, which is doing the building work, said any damage to residents' fences would be repaired before the project came to an end in May.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

7 comments

  • Grebbell_scum  |  February 25 2013, 4:11PM

    look on the bright side, at least Heather Frost isn't moving in...

    Rate   3
    Report
  • Matt1006  |  February 25 2013, 1:53PM

    vldgreene - it is my understanding that the immediate neighbours should have received formal notifications of the proposals for both the original Outline application, and then the subsequent Full application. So if you are saying nobody received a notification of the 2nd (Full) application, I suggest you need to lobby the Planning Department at CBC to find out why this was. Contacting your local Councillor appears fruitless, so go straight to the top. You might want to talk to an independent Planning Consultant first (if you haven't already done so), to see exactly what the correct process is, and whether CBC are guilty of not consulting with the neighbours correctly.

    Rate   6
    Report
  • vldgreene  |  February 25 2013, 1:22PM

    So Matt1006 and Douglasknows you believe we received notification from CBC, ignored it and we are now bellyaching about the eyesore on our doorstep? 1. We indeed received notification when Outline Planning was sought, we all objected, didn't get anywhere and it was granted. 2. 1st we knew of this scheme being approved was when the contractors moved in so we downloaded from CBC site and immediately contacted our local Councillor (no responses) who also sat on the Planning Committee which made the decision. Full Planning Consent was granted 08/05/2012. Work commenced 10/09/2012. So CBC et al had plenty of opportunity to advise us even if we wouldnt get a chance to object. 3. No consultation with any homeowner/occupant of the houses alongside this scheme has taken place. Not a case of 'wishing we had objected' more a case of not being given the opportunity! 4. Cannot comment on the scheme being in accordance with planning regulations - it is after all a partnership with CBC and Cottsway so lets hope for the new residents it is! 5. At Outline Planning we were well aware of the dreadful impact this scheme would have, not just on our homes, privacy etc but for the whole neighbourhood. 6. The scheme is way behind its targeted completion date, and one can guess over budget too. And it maybe too late to prevent the building but not too late to seek redress from CBC/Cottsway; and 'moaning' to the Echo is a right we have in this country, to be heard. And if this highlighting of CBC's highanded attitude to its ratepayers prevents another neighbourhood being trodden on then the 'moan' would have been even more worth it gentlemen!!!!!

    Rate   3
    Report
  • Terrythedog  |  February 25 2013, 12:58PM

    I feel sorry for the residents who are not happy too. I certainly wouldnt be . These houses are literally being built in a car park. What a view they will have with the bins of the takeaways & pub to look at.

    Rate   1
    Report
  • Douglasknows  |  February 25 2013, 10:08AM

    I suspect you are right about the residents being told but not really taking any notice Matt, that's the first thing I thought upon reading this article.

    Rate   2
    Report
  • Bellyflop  |  February 25 2013, 9:34AM

    What an eye sore this developement is. I feel sorry for the immediate residence. This should not have happened. The value of their homes has been significantly reduced. It has also taken a large amount of parking aroud he shopping area.

    Rate   2
    Report
  • Matt1006  |  February 25 2013, 8:51AM

    So is Ms DaCosta-Greene saying that she, as an immediate neighbour, wasn't consulted when the full detailed planning was considered for this scheme? Because she should have been. On the assumption the scheme does have full planning (and not just Outline consent, as referred to by Ms DaCosta-Greene), are we to believe that the neighbours weren't consulted, as they should have been? Or perhaps they were, but didn't bother to comment / complain / object at the time, and only now are wishing they had. If these houses have been built not in accordance with planning, then the Council should do something. However, I suspect that they are all in order, and the neighbours are only now realizing what they've got over the garden fence. Assuming all is correct, it's too late now to moan, either to CBC or the local rag.

    Rate   4
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES

       
       
       

      MOST POPULAR