ONE of the councillors due to decide whether or not an incinerator should be built in the county has said he is 'struggling to find good reasons' to build it.
More than 40 people attended a public meeting held by campaign group Glosvain to hear why the plans should not go ahead at Javelin Park.
Councillor Simon Wheeler (Hester's Way and Up Hatherley, LD) was at the meeting and after a series of presentations he made his thoughts on the issue known during a question and answer session.
He said: "I am really struggling to find good reasons to build this. That is where I come from. I would rather this was not political but what I would ask is that with a county council election coming up, ask the people knocking on your door where they stand on this issue."
Mr Wheeler prefaced his comments by stating he is a member of Gloucestershire County Council's planning committee and he stressed he does have an 'open mind' about the plans.
The committee will be voting on whether or not the incinerator should be granted planning permission at Gloucester Rugby Club on January 17.
During the Glosvain meeting held at Bethesda Church in Great Norwood Street campaigners urged people to write to Shire Hall to voice their concerns. Sue Oppenheimer from the campaign group said: "Incineration is the worst possible option to landfill and there are better tried and tested means that are used elsewhere and we think should be used in Gloucestershire."
Concerns were raised at the meeting about the potential impact the incinerator and its accompanying lorries could have on junction 12 of the M5.
Also, the numbers used by the county in its waste disposal projections were questioned.
People were told the county council would have to pay a £16million 'penalty clause' to Urbaser Balfour Beatty (UBB), the company behind the incinerator, should it not be given planning permission.
However, Councillor Stan Waddington (Nailsworth and Minchinhampton, C) confirmed earlier this year no such 'penalty clause' exists.
UBB project director Javier Peiro said: "There will be no new traffic passing through local villages as a result of the facility. Current restrictions on heavy HGV access to local roads will ensure that large waste trucks will not pass through local villages on their route to and from the proposed facility."